Recommended Books and Papal Documents on the Holy Eucharist
Recommended Reading on the Holy Eucharist
By Frederick Blonigen
1. The Eucharist: Mystery of Presence, Sacrifice, and
Communion, Lawrence Feingold.
2. My Body Given for You: History and Theology of the
Eucharist, Helmut Hoping.
3. A Key to the Doctrine of the Eucharist, Abbot Vonior.
4. The Hidden Manna: A Theology of the Eucharist, James
5. In the Presence of Our Lord: The History, Theology, and
Psychology of Eucharistic Devotion, Fr. Benedict Groeshel,
C.F.R. and James Monti.
6. With Us Today : On the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the
Eucharist, Fr. John A.Hardon, S.J.
7. Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist: Unlocking the
Secrets of the Last Supper, Brant Pitre.
8. Eucharistic Miracles and Eucharistic Phenomenon in the Lives
of the Saints, Joan Carroll Cruz.
9. 7 Secrets of the Eucharist, Vinny Flynn.
10. Catholics and the Eucharist: A Scriptural Introduction,
11. The Eymard Library on the Eucharist, 9 Volumes, St. Peter
12. The Holy Eucharist, St. Alphonsus Liguori.
13. God is Near Us: The Eucharist, the Heart of Life, Pope
14. This is My Body: An Evangelical Discovers the Real Presence,
15. Fire and Light: Learning to Receive the Gift of God, Jacques
16. Bread That is Broken, Wilfrid Stinissen, O.C.D.
17. Mary and the Eucharist, Fr. Richard Foley, S.J.
18. Symbol or Substance? A Dialgogue on the Eucharist with
C.S.Lewis, Billy Graham, and J.R.R.Tolkien, Peter Kreeft.
19. Divine Love Made Flesh: The Holy Eucharist and the
Sacrament of Charity, Raymond Cardinal Burke.
20. Jesus: Our Eucharistic Love, Fr.Stephano M. Manelli, F.F.I.
21. The Eucharist: the Mystery of Holy Thursday, Francois
22. The Source of Life: Exploring the Mystery of the Eucharist,
Christoph Cardinal Schonborn.
23. The Eucharist: Our Sanctification, Raniero Cantalamessa.
24. The Real Presence Through the Ages, Compiled and Edited
by Michael L. Gaudoin-Parker.
25. Transforming Your Life Through the Eucharist, John A.Kane.
26. The Mystery of Faith: Meditations on the Eucharist, Fr.
27. The Mystery of Incomprehensible Love: The Eucharistic
Message of Mother Mectilde of the Blessed Sacrament, Mother
Mectilde of the Blessed Sacrament.
28. 101 Questions and Answers on the Eucharist, Giles Dimock,
29. Eucharist: Theology and Spirituality of the Eucharistic Prayer,
30. The Mass: An Historical, Theological and Pastoral Survey,
Josef A. Jungmann, S.J.
31. The Mass of the Roman Rite: Its Origin and Development, 2
Vols. , Josef A. Jungmann, S.J.
32. The Pope , the Council, and the Mass, James Likoudis and
33. Meditations Before Mass, Romano Guardini.
34. The Incredible Mass: An Explanation of the Mass, Fr. Martin
35. The Hidden Treasure: Holy Mass, St.Leonard of Port
36. Worthy is the Lamb: The Biblical Roots of the Mass, Thomas
37. The Reform of the Roman Liturgy: Its Problems and
Background, Monsignor Klaus Gamber.
38. The Mass of the Early Christians, Mike Aquilina.
39. Mass, Cardinal Jean-Marie Lustiger.
40. The Mass in Other Words, Dom Hubert van Zeller.
41. The Mass in Slow Motion, Ronald Knox.
42. Know Him in the Breaking of the Bread: A Guide to the
Mass, Fr.Francis Randolph.
43. The Mass and Modernity: Walking to Heaven Backward,
44. Understanding the Mass, Charles Belmonte.
45. The Mass and the Saints, Thomas Crean,O.P.
46. If Your Mind Wanders at Mass, Thomas Howard.
47. Mass Confusion: The Do’s and Don’ts of Catholic Worship,
48. Praying the Mass: The Prayers of the Priest, Jeffrey Pinyan.
49. Our Splendid Eucharist: Reflections on Mass and the
Sacrament, Raymond Moloney, S.J.
50. A Devotional Journey into the Mass, Christopher Carstens.
51. Noble Beauty, Transcendent Holiness: Why the Modern
Ages Needs the Mass of the Ages, Peter Kwasniewski.
52. The Holy Bread of Eternal Life: Restoring Eucharistic
Reverence in an Age of Impiety, Peter Kwasniewski.
53. Holy Mass: Approaches to the Mystery, A.M. Roguet, O.P.
54. The Window in the Wall: Reflections on the Holy Eucharist,
55. Eucharistic Meditations, St. John Vianney.
56. The Most Holy Eucharist: Our Passover and Our Living Bread,
Fr. Thomas J.Mc Govern.
57. The Wellspring of Worship, Jean Corbon.
58. Celebrating the Holy Eucharist, Francis Cardinal Arinze.
59. Turning Towards the Lord: Orientation in Liturgical, U.M.Lang
60. The Mass: The Presence of the Sacrifice of the Cross, Charles
61. The Spirit of the Liturgy, Pope Benedict XVI.
62. The Feast of Faith, Pope Benedict VVI.
63. The Recovery of the Sacred: Reforming the Reformed Liturgy,
64. The Organic Development of the Liturgy, Alcuin Reid, O.S.B.
65. The Heresy of Formlessness, Martin Mosebach.
66. The Blessed Sacrament, Frederick Faber.
67. A Biblical Way of Praying the Mass: The Eucharistic Wisdom
of Venerable Bruno Lanteri, Fr. Timothy Gallagher,O.M.V.
Recommended Papal Documents on the Holy Eucharist
By Frederick Blonigen
1. Leo XIII. Encyclical on the Holy Eucharist, Mirae Caritatis.
May 18, 1902.
2. Pius X. Decree on Frequent and Daily Reception of Holy
Communion, Sacra Tridentina. December 20, 1905.
3. Pius XII. Encyclical on the Sacred Liturgy, Mediator Dei.
November 20, 1947.
4. Paul VI. Encyclical on the Eucharist, Mysterium Fidei.
September 3, 1965.
5. John Paul II. Apostolic Letter on Mystery and Worship of the
Eucharist, Dominicae Cenae. February 24, 1980.
6. John Paul II. Encyclical Letter on the Eucharist in Its
Relationship to the Church, Ecclesia de Eucharistia. April 17,
7. John Paul II. Apostolic Letter for the Year of the Eucharist,
Mane Nobiscum Domine. October 7, 2004.
8. Benedict XVI. Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation on the
Eucharist as the Source and Summit of the Church’s Life and
Mission, Sacramentum Caritatis. February 22, 2007.